Risky Business? A conversation on forest finance, policy, and management in a climate of changePanelists and a keynote speaker will explore how forestry folks are incorporating risk into various aspects of their forest management.
Keynote Address 9:00-9:45
Clark Binkley, GreenWood Resources
Panel 1: Future of Forests 9:45-11:00Setting the stage for the rest of the day, the first panel will discuss current scientific understanding and perspectives on best management practices. It will focus on current forest trends and what the future might bring - with examples from the Southeast.
- Dave Wear, Southern Forest Futures Project
- Kelly Oten, North Carolina Forest Service
- Dave Halley, True North Forest Management Services
- moderator: Dan Richter, Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University
Panel 2: Growing Investments 11:30-12:45How are investment and conservation organizations evaluating and incorporating changing risks into financial decisions? How does risk influence strategies?
- Glenn Wallace & Alex Finkral, The Forestland Group
- Jack Tribble, Palmer & Cay
- Trevor Cutsinger, The Conservation Fund
- moderator: Jeff Vincent, Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University
Panel 3: Pondering Policy 1:45-3:00What are likely policy responses to our current climate of change? How might policy decision alter forestland management?
- Jad Daley, Trust for Public Land
- Allison Welde, Enviva LP
- Bob Fledderman, MeadWestvaco
- moderator: Christopher Galik, Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions